This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Friday, April 16, 2010

portrait 04

Thanks to Vinod Rams for showing me Least Wanted on flickr. Freakin' treasure trove of uglies!

Did this one over lunch break, but kept the lines in. Going any higher-def than this is physically painful for me, but I'll overcome that as I hone this shit.



Since someone asked, the lines I do with a standard round hard brush (control : pen pressure, value : 1), and the tones go in beneath with a large, square brush (control : initial direction, minimum diameter 100%), which forces me to focus on planes. When I want to appear fancy, I use an organic smudge tool to add brushy flourishes or blend edges. I also use smart blur and median filters to knock back areas that look too noisy, as I'm training myself to be more deliberate and less fussy.

1 comment:

Zeke said...

I wish my eyebrows were half that manly

well done sir